Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

40 x 40

Tomorrow is my birthday.  35 this year.  Over the last couple of months I have felt inspired to start a 40 by 40 list - a list of 40 things I would like to accomplish by my 40th birthday.  Some of things I want to include are long-term goals or just items that I know won't happen in the short term, so I thought it would be good to give myself the next 5 years to accomplish everything.  Part of my reason for starting this blog was to provide some accountability for this list.  I figure if I have it posted on the internet for anyone to see (even if no one reads it) I would be more determined to accomplish each item.  It is still a work in process (not quite up to 40 items yet) and will be revised throughout the process, as needed.  For now, here is my list:

  1. Pay off debt
  2. Start a new job
  3. Finish a quilt
  4. Learn to crochet
  5. Take the kids to Disneyland or Disney World
  6. Go on a vacation with my husband - just us
  7. Make a family recipe binder
  8. Make a meal planner
  9. Finish a filing system for all paperwork and keepsakes
  10. Write a will
  11. Get a tattoo
  12. Learn to can food
  13. Go on a zip line
  14. Get the backyard in order & build a clubhouse for the girls
  15. Start a blog to track my progress with this list
  16. Exercise regularly - 3 times a week
  17. Get new living room furniture
  18. Finish fixing up the inside of the house
  19. Get and stay organized
  20. Complete a scrapbook for each of the girls
  21. Have all 40 items listed by my 35th birthday (this didn't happen, so this is one that will be revised a bit)
  22. Finish Christmas stockings
  23. Write down the girls' birth stories
  24. Make at least 1 recipe out of each of my cookbooks
  25. Frame and hang my favorite pictures
  26. Frame or finish my cross stitch projects
  27. Fix up the front yard
  28. Stop drinking so much soda
  29. Make time to do something creative each week
  30. Plan ahead more for dinners
  31. Live a "greener" life
  32. Be comfortable with who I am and what I believe; don't be so concerned with what someone else might think or if my beliefs will offend anyone
  33. Train for & complete a mud run, obstacle course, or similar event
  34. Take the girls on a beach vacation
  35. For one year, make all gifts that I give
So, it is almost complete.  It's not really a "bucket list" as some others are that I have come across, but it is filled with things I want to accomplish.  If anyone is reading and has any ideas for the last 5 items to complete the list, I would love to hear them!  I can now cross off item #15, so I am already in good shape.  I'll post updates as I complete each item.  Let's see how long it takes me...

No comments:

Post a Comment